Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Designing meaningful difference

As a designer we are trained to seek out and exploit difference. We design logos that set companies apart from others. We design packaging for products that sets them apart from their competition. We naturally think differently to others and originality is the design holy grail. There is another side to difference though. Difference needs to be meaningful. Meaning in our lives is dependent on our actions. When we help someone or acheive something it enriches our life. Meaning in business as it is in life is derived from doing the things that you are passionate about and having possitive benefit. That is meaningful difference. It is nearly impossible to create truely meaningful difference through design when the ideals and motivation that drive the design do not ring true.

I believe that difference is a good thing, it is our difference that drives our creativity and enriches our societies. People are inherently different but at the same time we all hold some common values. Do we try to be different? Probably not, I think it is more likely that we try harder to be the same, to conform. If we naturally follow what feels true and important to us, follow our hearts, we will naturally be different. Popular culture is more often about conformity, exploiting our fundamental need to belong. Our economy is driven by spending on consumerables and as such we are told to be continually disatisfied by life. We are told to throw away our uncool 6 month old gadget and buy the new slightly improved one, to toss out our wardrobe and dress like the latest fashionable celebrity. So I ask myself as a designer do I feel guilty to be part of this system of pressure and supression of difference? The simple answer is yes I do feel guilty but not hopeless. I think there is a changing mood that is incredibly inspiring and exciting.

There are government leaders, Barak Obama being the obvious one who cellebrate difference who do not influence by messages of conformity and fear but that preach that we should be proud to be different. He is very sure of his vision and it is the passion and energy that he leads with, that people are drawn to and follow. There are similarly businesses that are as self assured, that have a burning passion and ultimate aim beyond profit that attract us to follow them. However these leaders and companies are completely polarizing. They are vocal with opinions, and brazen in their actions. As such not everybody will sympathise and agree. These people operate outside of accepted 'norms' and will inevitably face opposition. On the flip side those that follow them will do so with an enthusiasm and dedication that is infectious. It is by no fluke that Obama has gone from the outside chance to a president with over 70% support.

I am passionate about design. I think that it has a huge power to influence, and inspire. I love the challenge of communicating complex messages in simple sensory ways. However, I do not like using my design skills to gloss over, to bambozal and to twist what is true. It makes me feel dishonest. When I have worked on designs for products that exploit their suppliers, pollute the planet, produce unhealthy products and treat their staff as an exploitable commodity I feel guilty. Yes we all need to make money but how can I advocate being true to ourselves when I feel guilty about doing what I love.

I did mention however that I do not feel hopeless, I am definitely hopeful. There are an increasing number of companies that are values lead. They exist because they want to acheive something meaningful, they are meaningfully different and want to create meaningful difference. They are not slaves to shareholders and profit. They exist because they believe in something and conduct their business with honesty and regard to those around them. They are inclusive rather than secretive, genorous rather than mean and definitely optomististic rather than fearful. Those are the companies that I would feel proud to work with.

2 comments:

  1. Hey... even am a graphic designer... can i see some of your works... y cant you put your designs in a blog. It ll help you alot to get better business opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reply to ma mailid.. sureshvbmad@gmail.com..

    ReplyDelete